A unique summer experience on the fantastic Sommarøy Island
Adding an extra day in Tromsø you get the chance to visit Sommarøy Island, the name “Summer Island” actually giving you a clue on what to expect. The tour starts in the morning, with bus on a 36km road that takes you through beautiful sea and mountain landscapes of ever-increasing wilderness, before you reach Sommarøy Bridge, connecting the island to the neighbouring island of Kvaløya.
After a guided walk in the village you will have lunch at the Sommarøy Arctic Hotel. In the afternoon it is planned to hike up the mountain of Hillesøy where you will have a stunning 360 degree view. To the north you can see all the small islands of the Tromsø County. Håja is the highest of these islands and rises 486 meters straight out of the water. You might notice that it has the same shape as the Arctic Cathedral in Tromsø. To the south, you can see all the way to the Kjølva headland, past the steep shoreline of Senja. Facing inland and towards the east is the view of the mountains of Kvaløya, while Storhavet itself lies to the west.
The white beaches of Sommarøy are of Riviera standard, but the water temperature cannot exactly be called inviting. Still there are those brave ones that enjoy a bath during summers. However, it is much more common to take long, pleasant walks along the beach, picking up shells and just taking in the scenery. In the late afternoon return back to Tromsø.
Dates: 01.05. - 15.09.2016
- You can extend your holiday with the programme "Full day tour to Sommarøy Island" on Hurtigruten sailings starting or ending in Tromsø along the Norwegian coast.
- Included: Full day tour, incl. transport, English/Norwegian speaking guide, buffet lunch.
- Time: Approx. 09.00 - 17.00
- Walking information: There is some walking and a 30-40 min hike over uneven ground involved in this tour
- Pick up from Radisson Blu Hotel
- Clothing: Warm and waterproof clothes and comfortable footwear recommended
If you want to stay in Tromsø before or after your pre/post programme, you can further extend your holiday by staying at our recommended hotels.
Please call us on if you wish to book this extension programme