Atacama Desert is one of our pre and post programs, which allows you to stay even longer in your favourite destinations. This is the itinerary for the tour in Chile:
Day 1: Santiago/Calama/San Pedro de Atacama – Moon Valley
Start the tour with a transfer from your hotel in Santiago de Chile to the airport with a morning flight to Calama. From here you will be taken to San Pedro de Atacama, your final destination and an oasis in the middle of the desert. San Pedro is a small village with narrow alleys and traditional adobe houses, known as the archaeological capital of Chile. Evening excursion to the Moon Valley, declared a Sanctuary of nature and natural Monument. Climb the Duna Mayor (Major Dune) which provides a beautiful view of the cordillera de la Sal, the valley of Death and the Salt Flats, among many other sights with the dramatic sunset in the background. Return to the hotel, have dinner on your own and get a good night's sleep.
Day 2: San Pedro de Atacama - Tulor and Quitor archeological sites
Morning departure towards the archeological site of Tulor - the oldest vestige and first human settlement in the Atacama Salt Flat, that has been miraculously preserved. It is known as the “cradle of the likan antai culture” dating back 2,000 years. Next we visit Pukará de Quitor. This defensive stone fortress from the 12th century was attacked by the Spanish conquistador Francisco de Aguirre in 1540, restored in 1981 and then declared a national Monument. A tasting of typical products will be served during the excursion. Return to San Pedro de Atacama and spend the afternoon at your leisure. Dinner on your own and overnight.
Day 3: San Pedro de Atacama/Calama/Santiago –El Tatio Geysers
Early morning excursion to the el Tatio Geysers, located at a height of 4,300 metres above sea level and at approx. 89 km from San Pedro de Atacama. The geothermal field has close links to the volcanic activity in the zone and consists of huge steam columns. Intense sulphur odors and pools of boiling water and mud make this place seem like the initiation of life. Be on the lookout for families of vicuñas and maybe even foxes and Andean ostrich. Stop at Puritama, famous for its hot pools, where the warm water flows through the rocks. After a day of intense unwinding, return to your hotel to fresh up and have time for a lunch on your own before the afternoon transfer to Calama. Late afternoon we head back to Santiago de Chile, followed by a transfer to your hotel. Dinner on your own and overnight.
Day 4: Santiago
Breakfast and end of your extension programme.
- * The price includes one night including breakfast at hotel in Santiago de Chile, two nights in San Pedro de Atacama, incuding breakfast, return flight Santiago de Chile to Calama, including current van/taxi airport transfers in Santiago and Calama/San Pedro, two half day and one full day excursion, English-speaking guide during excursions. All excursions are subject to weather conditions.
- Not included: the first hotel night in Santiago de Chile (except in combination with MS Fram voyage Penguins, Patagonia and Poetry on 10 Mar 2018), drinks, lunch, dinner, gratuities.
This tour is available as post extension program (also as a pre program in combination with the MS Fram voyage Exploring the Land of the Inca) on some of our Antarctica voyages:
1. Adventure to the Chilean Fjords and Antarctica
- Departure dates: 7 November and 20 November 2017
2. Discover Patagonia and Antarctica
- Departure date: 3 December 2017
3. The Legendary Magellan, Chilean Fjords and Antarctica
- Departure dates: 17 December 2017 and 2 January 2018
4. Adventure from Cape Horn to the Penguins of Antarctica
- Departure dates: 18 January, 31 January and 13 February 2018
5. Southern Hemisphere Adventure: South America and Antarctica
- Departure date: 26 February 2018
6. Penguins, Patagonia and Poetry
- Departure date: 22 February 2018
7. Exploring the Land of the Inca
- Departure date: 10 March 2018
Booking code for Atacama Desert: CENCJC2PRE / CENCJC2POST
To book please call our Reservations team on 02036037112.
If you want to stay in Chile before or after your pre/post program, you can further extend your holiday by staying at our recommended hotels.