An unforgettable Sámi experience
This is something for you who are curious about the historical and exciting culture of the Sámi, and wants an experience out of the ordinary! As soon as you come to the camp, you meet your guide, who is from a Sámi reindeer herder family. Then you go out for a fantastic winter adventure in the snow, on a reindeer sledge – the oldest means of transportation in the north on the island of Kvaløya.
Storytelling, joik and Northern lights
The evening is spent in the Sami camp where you will be served a traditional hot Sami meal, stories around the bonfire, a display of cultural artifacts and joik (traditional Sámi song). Being out in the wilderness there is little artificial light and excellent conditions to look for the Northern Lights, before going to bed in a traditional Sámi lavvo (tent), sleeping on reindeer skins in winter-insulated sleeping bags.
The morning after you enjoy breakfast before returning to Tromsø.
Dates: 01.11.2016 - 20.03.2017 and 01.11.2017 - 31.03.2018
- You can extend your holiday with the programme "Overnight in a Sami Lavvo and Reindeer Sledging" on Hurtigruten sailings starting or ending in Tromsø along the Norwegian coast.
- Included: Overnight tour, incl. reindeer sledging, overnight in a Sami tent, guide, warm clothes, sleeping bag, evening meal and breakfast, transport. Min. participants number is 2 passengers.
- Duration: 2 days and 1 night
- Pick up from Radisson Blu Hotel
- Please note: This is a wilderness camp and has no running water or showers or flushing toilets. You might be sharing the lavvo with other visitors.
If you want to stay in Tromsø before or after your pre/post programme, you can further extend your holiday by staying at our recommended hotels.
Please call us on if you wish to book this extension programme