Entry requirements for your travel

Please take a few minutes to familiarise yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary.

Passport and VISA requirements

A passport is the only valid identification. For some destinations your passport must be valid for more than six months after you return to your home country. At check-in on board passports will be collected on board the vessel, in order to clear immigrations and customs. They will be kept throughout the whole voyage. We regret that we are unable to accept any liability if you are denied access to a flight or entry into a country or are otherwise affected by difficulties or costs resulting from your passport not being approved or if you have not obtained the required documentation. It is the responsibility of each passenger to ensure they comply with any visa travel document requirements at the time of travel. 

Ship Manifest Information Form

A Ship Manifest Information Form is needed for all our Expedition Cruises. This includes all sailings on: MS Fram, MS Roald Amundsen, MS Nordstjernen, MS Fridtjof Nansen, MS Spitsbergen, MS Maud, MS Trollfjord and MS Otto Sverdrup.

Please complete this form using CAPITAL letters and return it to Hurtigruten Expeditions after confirming your booking. This form must be received immediately by Hurtigruten Expeditions at least 8 weeks prior to your cruise departure. Please note that we are unable to send your travel documents and we deny boarding our ships until we have received this completed form.

You can complete the Ship Manifest Information Form by clicking the link below and downloading it to your device. Then you can simply send the form to us by using the email address located at the bottom of the form.



Last edited: 09/06/2021 11:15

What we do on board to sail safer together

Vaccinations and viruses

There are other routine vaccines you may require but check with your Doctor to see which you may need, and two that we recommend you seek medical advice about are listed below.

Yellow Fever

Certain parts of South and Central America, along with our West African destinations are in what is classified as the “Yellow Fever endemic zones”. This means for those who wish to travel to these destinations it is mandatory that ALL travellers above the age of 9 months, receive the Yellow Fever vaccination.

The certificate for the Yellow fever vaccination is only valid from 10 days after you have received the vaccination. If you have not had the vaccine in time you may be denied entry to these areas or instructed to quarantine for up to 6 days. If such a situation occurs Hurtigruten cannot accept any liability in such situations.

If you need a vaccination certificate for the country, you are visiting but you are not able to have the vaccine due to medical reasons, contact a yellow fever vaccination centre or your Doctor. They may provide you with an exemption certificate, which may be accepted by officials in countries that usually require a vaccination certificate.

Zika virus.

Like Yellow fever Zika is also detected in the Americas and Africa so we advise you also engage your Doctor to understand the risks, especially if you are trying to get or you are pregnant.

There are useful links where you can check information on like http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx and https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list/

There are other routine vaccines you may require but check with your Doctor to see which you may need.


More information about Entry Requirements to Argentina can be found on the Argentinean embassy website.

Only the information given by the consulate of the country you are planning to visit is up-to-date, official and correct.

Brazilian Visas and Passports

Visas for Brazil are not required by all nationals of EU countries for stays of up to 90 days. Visas are required by nationals of Australia, Canada and the USA.

Tourist visa: cost varies according to nationality and is in some cases based on reciprocity. A tourist visa costs £108 for nationals of Australia, £72 for nationals of Canada and £144 for nationals of the USA.

To enter Brazil, a passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry is required by all nationals of Australia, Canada, USA, Britain and other European countries.

Please visit World Travel Guide for more information about Visas and Passports in Brazil.


Unless you are a visa-exempt national, you will need a Chile Visa to travel to Chile. The Chilean government has made the process of obtaining a Chile visa easy and smooth, allowing you to apply online from your home at www.tramites.minrel.gov.cl.

If you are not a visa-exempt national, you must apply for your visa at least 30 days before you intend to travel. If you miss this deadline the Chilean government will not process your application.

For travellers who are visa-exempt you will be provided with a tourist card on your arrival to Chile which will be in  the form of a receipt with a bar-code. You must always keep this with you, and you will be asked to return it when you leave the country. If you lose your card for any reason you must contact the local Policia Internacional as soon as possible.

Travellers that are visa exempt are citizens of the following areas:

  • South America
  • European Union and United Kingdom
  • United States and Canada
  • Australia and New Zealand.
  • All Countries that maintain diplomatic relations with Chile.

Please note your passport must be valid for 6 months after the end of your visit and have at 2 blank pages in the passport

Please be aware that Chile has strict protocols on items allowed in to the country, we recommend you visit www.gob.cl to check what is allowed in case you have any concerns. If you are stopped with any illegal products they will be confiscated, and you will be fined.

You will be asked to complete a declaration form before you arrive in Chile and this is usually provided onboard your flight. You can also download the form here .


Starting 15 March 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. However, when arriving by ship it is not be necessary for certain nationalities to obtain an eTA. The following link provides you with further information regarding eTA: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp 

Please check the website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp for more information and how you to apply for an eTA. The fee is ca. 7 Canadian Dollars (subject to change) and the which needs to be granted before flying to Canada. We regret we are unable to accept any liability if you are denied access to a flight, the ship, or entry into Canada, or are otherwise affected by difficulties or costs resulting from your passport not being approved, or if you have not obtained the required eTA, visa, or other documentation.

United States

Foreign travelers to the United States for short visits, for example tourism, vacation, visiting family and friends, or medical treatment, need visitor visas unless they qualify for entry under the Visa Waiver Program. All eligible international travelers who wish to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/). For more information see The US State Department (www.travel.state.gov/ ). Be aware that US entry requirements keep evolving as national security regulations change. All travelers should double-check current visa and passport regulations before travelling to the USA.