From Ponta Delgada you will head to the village of Fajã de Baixo to visit a pineapple plantation where the fruit grows in hothouses. See the different phases of the pineapple’s growing cycle and taste pineapple liqueur, juice, jam or the fruit itself (depends on the season), with time for souvenir shopping afterwards.
Continue along the mountain road, descending into the village of Sete Cidades, named for the volcano towering above. You’ll have free time for a quick coffee or to stretch your legs before you continue to the Santiago Lake and Vista do Rei viewpoints.
You will reach the main crater of this extinct volcano, 1,900 feet above sea level. From the edge of the crater, eight miles in circumference, there is a magnificent view of the two lakes at the bottom. One is blue, reflecting the sky, and the other is bright green, reflecting its beautiful setting within the crater walls.
Return to Ponta Delgada.
• Level: 2
• Hike level::
• Included: Transportation, guide, taste of pineapple liquor or juice or fruit
• Remarks/requirements: Comfortable walking shoes.
The beautiful Azores are best enjoyed in fine weather. In case of poor visibility, this tour will visit António Borges Garden in Ponta Delgada.
• Walking information: In and out of bus + walking at stops
Total driving time approx. 1h 45m
• Wheelchair accessible: Yes, but only IF guest can climb steps in/out of bus
• Maximum participants: 300