Hurtigruten offers unique expedition cruises to some of the most remote and pristine waters of the world. As with all expeditions; nature makes the rules.
Weather, and ice and sea conditions set the final framework for all Hurtigruten’s operations. Safety and unparalleled guest experiences are always our top priorities.
All our itineraries are continuously evaluated for necessary alterations, whether due to constraints imposed by the elements – or to take advantage of exciting possibilities that nature and wildlife offer. That flexibility and excitement is why we call each of our voyages a true expedition.
DAY 1 : Longyearbyen, Svalbard
Mining History and Arctic Nature
Your adventure starts with an overnight stay to enjoy Longyearbyen´s galleries, pubs, restaurants and magnificent setting on the edge of wilderness. Reminders of mining heritage are everywhere in this frontier town.
DAY 2 : Longyearbyen & Barentsburg - Embarkation
Settlements of the Far North
Estimated time of departure is 17:00
After breakfast, you will have some free time to relax or visit the shops before check out and lunch. After lunch you will take your bags to the bus, and enjoy a guided tour that includes visits to the Svalbard Museum and Camp Barentz. This tour ends at the harbour, where you will embark MS Nordstjernen to sail the Isfjord to the Russian settlement of Barentsburg. Here you can explore Russian artefacts and architecture, join a folklore show or soak up real Russian atmosphere in the local pub.
DAY 3 : Magdalenefjorden & the North West Corner
Into the Arctic Wilderness
This area is rich with islands, fjords and beaches and heritage: a whaling station and graveyard that dates from the 16th century. We hope to make a landing here and explore this wonderful Arctic wilderness. Keep a sharp eye out! We hope to encounter polar bears, whales and seals.
DAY 4 : Woodfjorden, Liefdefjorden, Moffen & 80°North
Scanning for Polar Bears
North West Spitsbergen National Park features beautiful terrain, as well as the fast-moving Monaco glacier and Jotunkjeldane thermal springs. We may spot a polar bear searching for bird eggs nearby. Be on the lookout for whales and seals as well. If the conditions are favourable, we will sail past 80° North.
DAY 5 : Kongsfjorden & Ny-Ålesund
Fjords, Glaciers and Research
Kongsfjorden is the largest fjord in the Northwest coast of Spitsbergen and home to the majestic Kongsbreen glacier. Later, we dock at Ny-Ålesund. Situated at 78º 55’ N, this is one of the world’s northernmost year-round communities. It is now an advanced High Arctic research station.
DAY 6 : Longyearbyen - Disembarkation
Flying Home from the Arctic
Estimated time of arrival is 01:00
After an early breakfast on board, you will have some free time in Longyearbyen. Have a wander through the town, look for souvenirs or enjoy a lazy lunch in a cafe. A transfer bus will take you to the airport for departure in the afternoon.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice on a full board basis
- Transfer airport to hotel in Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the voyage including breakfast and lunch
- Hotel: Funken Lodge. If you have booked a cabin with shared facilities (D or E), your hotel is Coal Miners’ Cabins
- 3 hours sightseeing including Camp Barentz and Museum ending at the pier for embarking
- Transfer ship to airport in Longyearbyen
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich programme of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Loan of trekking poles and thermal suits for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Small destination-focused onboard library
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
|Ship yard||Blohm & Voss|
MS Nordstjernen is named after the North Star or Stella Polaris, famous for helping seafarers find their way back home and the Vikings to navigate the north.