Your adventure starts with an overnight stay to enjoy Longyearbyen´s galleries, pubs, restaurants and magnificent setting on the edge of wilderness. Reminders of mining heritage are everywhere in this frontier town. The cruise package includes an overnight at the premium boutique hotel, Funken Lodge, when booking a cabin with private facilities on board and an overnight at charming Coal Miners’ Cabins when booking a cabin with shared facilities. Hotel upgrade is available on request.
If you would like to explore more of Longyearbyen before your cruise add one of our pre-programmes to your booking.
Estimated time of departure is 17:00
After breakfast,you can join a tour in the local area, giving you a great introduction to the colourful settlement and the history of the region. Next, it´s time to embark on MS Spitsbergen to sail the Isfjord to the Russian settlement of Barentsburg. Here you can explore Russian artefacts and architecture, join a folklore show or soak up real Russian atmosphere in the local pub.
This area is rich with islands, fjords and beaches and heritage: a whaling station and graveyard that dates from the 16th century. We hope to make a landing here and explore this wonderful Arctic wilderness. Keep a sharp eye out! We hope to encounter polar bears, whales and seals.
North West Spitsbergen National Park features beautiful terrain, as well as the fast-moving Monaco glacier and Jotunkjeldane thermal springs. We may spot a polar bear searching for bird eggs nearby. Be on the lookout for whales and seals as well. If the conditions are favourable, we will sail past 80° North.
Kongsfjorden is the largest fjord in the Northwest coast of Spitsbergen and home to the majestic Kongsbreen glacier. Later, we dock at Ny-Ålesund. Situated at 78º 55’ N, this is one of the world’s northernmost year-round communities. It is now an advanced High Arctic research station.
Estimated time of arrival is 08:00
This Arctic adventure ends in Longyearbyen. Transfers are available from the ship in the morning, giving you the option to spend some time in Longyearbyen before your afternoon flight. Alternatively, add a post package to really get to know the area.
Included in your voyage
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the expedition cruise, including light dinner, breakfast and lunch
- Transfer airport to hotel in Longyearbyen
- 3 hours sightseeing including Museum and Camp Barentz ending at the pier for embarking
- Transfer between ship and Longyearbyen airport
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
|Ship yard||Blohm & Voss|
MS Nordstjernen is named after the North Star or Stella Polaris, famous for helping seafarers find their way back home and the Vikings to navigate the north.