Your cruise package starts with an overnight stay in Longyearbyen, a surprisingly cosmopolitan frontier town on the edge of the Arctic, with galleries, pubs, restaurants, and shops. The package includes an overnight at the boutique hotel Funken Lodge when booking a cabin with private facilities on board and an overnight at charming Coal Miners’ Cabins when booking a cabin with shared facilities. Hotel upgrade is available on request.
Estimated time of departure is 13:00
After breakfast, and check out, take your bags to the bus to join a tour of Longyearbyen that includes the Svalbard Museum and Camp Barentz. Once aboard MS Nordstjernen, we sail to the Russian coal mining town of Barentsburg to explore the exotic collection of Russian artefacts and architecture, join a folklore show or soak up the real Russian atmosphere in the local pub.
This area is rich with islands, fjords and beaches. In Magdalenefjord, you’ll discover a whaling station from the 16th century. We arrive in the morning and hope to make a landing to explore this wonderful Arctic wilderness. Scan for polar bears, Minke whales and seals.
We will spend most of the day cruising into lovely Krossfjord. The landscape here varies from large tundra plains to alpine peaks with dramatic glaciers tumbling into the ocean. At the end of the fjord is the majestic Kongsbreen (King’s Glacier). Later, we dock at Ny-Ålesund, one of the world’s northernmost communities.
Next, we sail the Isfjorden, the most prominent fjord system on Svalbard, passing the nesting sites of thousands of guillemots. Marvel at the large U-shaped valleys, carved out of the mountains by the giant glaciers. After disembarkation in Longyearbyen, enjoy the day before a Farewell dinner at the hotel.
Estimated time of arrival is 10:00
Your Spitsbergen adventure is over for this time. After transfer to the airport, it's time for the flight back home in the afternoon. Alternatively you could add a post package and enjoy the local area.
Included in your voyage
- One night at the hotel in Longyearbyen before the expedition cruise, including light dinner and breakfast
- One night at the hotel Longyearbyen after the expedition cruise incl. light lunch, dinner and breakfast
- Transfers between airport and hotel in Longyearbyen
- 3 hours Sightseeing in Longyearbyen incl. Museum and Camp Barentz, ending at the pier
- Transfer between ship and hotel in Longyearbyen
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats while in Svalbard
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
|Ship yard||Blohm & Voss|
MS Nordstjernen is named after the North Star or Stella Polaris, famous for helping seafarers find their way back home and the Vikings to navigate the north.