Hurtigruten offers unique expedition cruises to some of the most remote and pristine waters of the world. As with all expeditions; nature prevails. Weather, and ice and sea conditions set the final framework for all Hurtigruten’s operations. Safety and unparalleled guest experiences are at all times our top priorities. All our indicative itineraries are continuously evaluated for adaptions, whether this is due to constraints the elements unexpectedly present – or exciting possibilities nature and wildlife offer. That is why we call it an expedition.
DAY 1 : Longyearbyen, Svalbard
On the Edge of Wilderness
Your adventure starts with an overnight stay in Longyearbyen, a surprisingly cosmopolitan frontier town on the edge of the Arctic, with galleries, pubs, restaurants, and shops.
DAY 2 : Longyearbyen & Barentsburg - Embarkation
Settlements of the Far North
Estimated time of departure is 13:00
After breakfast, and check out, take your bags to the bus at 9:00am to join a tour of Longyearbyen that includes the Svalbard Museum and Camp Barentz. Once aboard MS Nordstjernen, we sail to the Russian coal mining town of Barentsburg to explore the exotic collection of Russian artefacts and architecture, join a folklore show or soak up the real Russian atmosphere in the local pub.
DAY 3 : Magdalenefjord, North West Corner, Moffen and 80°North
Chances of Seeing Polar Bears
This area is rich with islands, fjords and beaches. In Magdalenefjord, you’ll discover a whaling station from the 16th century. We arrive in the morning and hope to make a landing to explore this wonderful Arctic wilderness. Scan for polar bears, Minke whales and seals.
DAY 4 : Kongsfjorden & Ny-Ålesund
Fjords, Glaciers and Research
We will spend most of the day cruising into lovely Krossfjord. The landscape here varies from large tundra plains to alpine peaks with dramatic glaciers tumbling into the ocean. At the end of the fjord is the majestic Kongsbreen (King’s Glacier). Later, we dock at Ny-Ålesund, one of the world’s northernmost communities.
DAY 5 : Isfjorden & Longyearbyen - Disembarkation
Cruising into Isfjorden
Next, we sail the Isfjorden, the most prominent fjord system on Svalbard, passing the nesting sites of thousands of guillemots. Marvel at the large U-shaped valleys, carved out of the mountains by the giant glaciers. After disembarkation in Longyearbyen, enjoy the day before a Farewell dinner at the hotel.
DAY 6 : Longyearbyen
Flying Home from the Arctic
Estimated time of arrival is 10:00
Following a hearty breakfast at your hotel, you will have some free time in Longyearbyen. Have a wander through the town, look for souvenirs or enjoy a lazy lunch in a cafe. A transfer bus will take you to the airport for departure in the early afternoon.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice on a full board basis
- Transfer airport to hotel in Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the voyage including breakfast: Funken Lodge. If you have booked a cabin with shared facilities (D or E), your hotel is Coal Miners’ Cabins
- 3 hours Sightseeing in Longyearbyen incl. Museum and Camp Barentz, ending at the pier
- Transfer ship to hotel in Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen after the voyage incl. light lunch, dinner and early morning snack
- Transfer hotel to airport in Longyearbyen
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich programme of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Loan of trekking poles and thermal suits for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Small destination-focused onboard library
- A Farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
|Ship yard||Blohm & Voss|
MS Nordstjernen is named after the North Star or Stella Polaris, famous for helping seafarers find their way back home and the Vikings to navigate the north.