Norway, Spitsbergen – Hurtigruten Sportsman´s Route Exploration
Duration: 14 days
Ship: MS Spitsbergen
23 April 2020
Price from : £ 3786 per personCheck prices and availability
- Embark on an epic voyage from Norway’s spectacular fjords to Arctic Svalbard
- Visit places far off the beaten track
- Experience Norwegian spring in the south and winter in the north
- Explore coastal communities few others visit
Explore Bergen´s historic harbour area, fronted by wooden houses dating back as far as the 1300’s. Stroll through the alleyways or take a trip up to Mount Fløyen before you board the ship, MS Spitsbergen.
Værlandet is a small island group north of Sognefjorden that is home to a fishing community. We´ll have a chance to get a taste of Norwegian friluftsliv here, with many hiking possibilities. Perhaps you´d like to hike up the 481-meter high Mt. Alden for a stunning view.
Take in the scenery of the beautiful Geirangerfjord as we sail this through this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Our afternoon is spent in lovley Ålesund. After a disastrous fire in 1904, the town was rebuilt in Art Nouveau style. Visit the Art Nouveau Centre or take a walk up Aksla Mountain (well worth it for the unforgettable panoramic views!).
We will spend a full day in Åndalsnes, set at the foot of spectacular mountains. The Trollstigen mountain road and Vermafossen waterfall are both popular attractions here.
Located off the coast of Trøndelag, the Frøya Islands are home to around 4,200 people who are proud of the fantastic outdoor life of their islands as well as their thriving coastal culture.
Værøy is a small island in the western part of Lofoten with only 780 inhabitants, nearly half of whom are in the fishing industry. Take a walk on this very special island that is rich in history and scenic views.
A true gem of Lofoten, this is the iconic image of a Norwegian fishing village. Reine´s beauty has inspired artists since the 1880´s. Red and white traditional fisherman’s cottages - known as Rorbuer - perch on stilts over the water’s edge with a background of granite spires jutting skywards. Take your time here to truly soak in the deep serenity of this place.
In the heart of Lofoten, the picturesque town of Svolvær is a fishing village where age-old seagoing traditions are still being practiced. It is a great place to go for a stroll in the harbour area to look at the fishing boats, or maybe take on a hike in the nearby mountains.
Sommarøy is an archipelago of small islands with white, sandy beaches and a lively fishing village. Browse the small shops for handicrafts and note the `Kaillkråa´ (the Gentlemen’s corner) where husbands may be parked during shopping.
Alta´s history goes back more than 5,200 years, based on the UNESCO-listed Rock Carvings found nearby. We recommend a walk up to Komsafjellet - 212 meters above sea level – for a spectacular view over the town and fjord.
Early in the morning, we sail past the famed North Cape cliff. You can choose from two optional activities here - a hike along the steep path from Hornvika, or travel by bus from Skarsvåg to the Cape. The ship will continue to Gjesvær, where the excursion participants will re-board.
Spend a day to prepare yourself before the last part of our adventure - Svalbard. The Expedition Team will give lectures in the Science Center, or you can just relax by the window with a book and enjoy being at sea.
This isolated island hosts arguably the largest concentration of sea birds on the Northern Hemisphere. Weather conditions will dictate if we can attempt to go ashore on this rugged and beautiful island.
Our adventure ends in the Arctic frontier town of Longyearbyen and we transfer you to the airport for your flight to Oslo.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer ship to airport in Longyearbyen
- Economy flight Longyearbyen to Oslo
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking and hiking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
|Year of refurbishment||2016|
|Ship yard||Estaleiro Navais de Viana do Castelo (POR)|
Our new ship, MS Spitsbergen will take you on a voyage beyond the ordinary.