US West Coast – Highlights of the Pacific
Duration: 9 days
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen
10 May 2020
Price from : £ 1889 per personCheck prices and availability
- A fantastic expedition cruise giving you the best of the west
- Enjoy late spring´s pleasant temperatures and blooming flowers
- Experience the full coast: start in San Diego and end in Vancouver, Canada
- Scan for abundant marine wildlife and sea birds
San Diego is the second biggest city in California and is often described as `America’s Finest City´ due to the high quality of life here. Before embarking MS Roald Amundsen, we recommend visiting Balboa Park´s museums, art galleries, and beautiful gardens.
LA is known for the beach life in Santa Monica and Venice Beach, for its many theme parks and of course for Hollywood, the film industry’s mecca. Spend the day enjoying the metropolis’ many attractions or join the Expedition Team to discover some of the natural gems of the area.
Beach clean-up (2 - 3 hrs)
Help us keep our oceans clean. The most important daily task of our crews is stopping waste before it reaches the sea. On every landing at every destination, we encourage our guests to help us collect and properly dispose of waste. We also arrange large beach cleanups at carefully selected spots.
In the afternoon, we arrive in Monterey, a picturesque small town known for its beautifully renovated buildings, Cannery Row and Fisherman’s Wharf. Spend the afternoon and evening in downtown Monterey, wander through the historic quarter or join one of our optional excursions offering iconic California experiences.
Walking Tour of Cannery Row (2 hrs)
Walk with us along the pier to Cannery Row for a guided tour of this historic part of the city. See Monterey’s comical sea lions and get plenty of opportunities to capture the perfect photo. You also get the chance to shop, freely wander, or visit the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium before returning to the ship.
Enjoy a full day in San Francisco! Take a cable car ride to climb the steep hills, enjoy Victorian architecture, visit the Golden Gate Bridge or Alcatraz, and enjoy the city´s incredible food scene. Our optional excursion programme will take you to the city´s top sights and hidden treasures.
Walk to Lands End Viewpoint / Palace of Fine arts (4h15)
Walk along a path to Lands End viewpoint with breathtaking views of San Francisco's famous Golden Gate Bridge. Prefer not to walk, then ride to the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco's Marina District. Built in 1915, the elegant building isn't only fascinating outside, it’s just as grand inside. Find out as you explore at your leisure.
Days at sea mean you can join the Expedition Team for interesting lectures, learn the basics of expedition photography, and spend time out on deck enjoying the fresh salt air as you scout for wildlife. Of course, there’s also plenty time to chat with fellow explorers.
We will have a full day here to discover Seattle´s sights at your leisure or join one of our optional excursions. Visit the Pike Place Market and the iconic Space Needle. Seattle is often referred to as the `Emerald City´ due to the nearby evergreen forest. There will also be opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors.
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation / Downtown (2hrs)
Join us on a visit to Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Discovery Center in Seattle. Explore interactive exhibits and hear powerful stories about how the Gates Foundation and its partners are improving quality of life for billions of people worldwide. Discover innovations and bold ideas to solve challenges facing our most vulnerable communities locally and globally. Find out how ordinary people can change the world—and get inspired to take action.
In the morning, we arrive in beautiful Vancouver, Bristish Colombia, Canada. After disembarkation we transfer you to your hotel for the overnight stay.
We recommend spending some time to enjoy this big city with small town charm before you fly home. Why not book one of our exciting Post-programmes to extend your stay?
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer from ship to hotel in Vancouver
- One hotel night in Vancouver after the voyage including breakfast
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich programme of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Visa for US (ESTA) required - for details please see Visa information in our Entry requirements
MS Roald Amundsen
|Ship yard||Kleven Yards|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
San Diego: Pre-Programme
Whistler & Sea to Sky Gondola: Post-Excursion
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Roald Amundsen
- Meet our Expedition Team
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board