Northeast US, Atlantic Canada – Fall Foliage
Duration: 8 days
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen
13 September 2020
Price from : £ 1971 per personCheck prices and availability
- Discover New England in fall colours
- Experience the small-town charm of Nova Scotia and Maine
- Walking and hiking opportunities
- Sail into the New York Harbor past the Statue of Liberty
The native Mi'kmaq peoples have been in the Halifax area for millennia, while modern Halifax was founded in 1749 by the British. Today, it offers rich culture and places of great natural beauty, such as Peggy’s Cove. Spend some time exploring before embarking on MS Roald Amundsen.
A lovely historic town built on shipbuilding and trade, Yarmouth boasts fine Victorian homes, museums, churches, wharfs and other hidden gems. Stroll the town and meet the friendly locals or sample some of the freshest seafood in the world. The area around Cape Forchu provides seaside walking trails with stunning views.
Yarmouth Walking Tour (2 hrs)
Explore Yarmouth’s heritage district by foot and walk by beautiful residences including the Pelton-Fuller Brush Home. Visit the Yarmouth County Museum, housed in a former granite church, see historic waterfront warehouses from the sailing era, and enjoy the town at your leisure. (Self-guided with local guides at appointed points of interest).
We sail into cozy Eastport on Moose Island. The native Passamaquoddy Tribe has called the area home for at least 10.000 years. In 1833, Eastport grew to be the second-largest trading port after New York. Enjoy the historic waterfront on foot, join our team for a hike or opt for a day on the water.
Adventure, romance, rocky coast, and soaring granite cliffs … there is a special mystique to Bar Harbor. Surrounded by the stunning fall colours of Acadia National Park and perched on the edge of the sea, this little community offers so much to see.
Gilded Age Walking tour (2 hrs)
Join a walking tour and travel back to the 19th century when Bar Harbor was the world's most exclusive seaside resort. Your guide is dressed in full Victorian garb and takes you back to an era of opulence, regaling you with stories of Victorian Bar Harbor's rich and famous. Learn about the area’s history and how the super rich lived lavishly with their grand parties and manicured estates.
Next, we come to Rockland, a beautiful coastal town situated alongside Penobscot Bay. Rockland is known for its lobster-fishing industry and deep harbor, dotted with hundreds of inlets and coves. Downtown Rockland’s historic homes and charming shops feature great architecture. Farnsworth Art Museum and Wyeth Center are worth a visit.
Breakwater lighthouse with nature walk (1 - 3 hrs)
Walk out to sea without getting your wet feet on this tour to Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse - at the end of a breakwater extending almost one mile into the ocean. Ride a shuttle to the lighthouse and climb to the top of the historic beacon to get a wonderful view of the surroundings.
Colourful Provincetown is situated on the extreme tip of the Peninsula of Cape Cod and is surrounded by ample beaches. In 1620, the pilgrims aboard the Mayflower set anchor at what is today Provincetown Harbor. Its historic maritime character and art scene attract visitors all year around.
Mayflower Trolley Tour (3 hrs)
Explore the sights and sounds of Provincetown from the comfort of the Mayflower trolley. Our expert conductors take you on a 45-minute tour of this charming town. Learn about the pilgrims and life after landing here with the Mayflower and hear stories about Provincetown as you take in the sights.
Newport is a shining gem in the crown of New England, home to spectacular coastal scenery, awe-inspiring architecture, a thriving waterfront downtown, and welcoming hospitality. Discover Newport’s downtown and stroll iconic Ocean Drive, discover Colonial architecture or explore the tunnels at Fort Adams – America’s largest coastal fortification.
Cliff Walk (3 hrs)
Experience New England’s rocky shore and crashing surf on one side and Newport’s most extravagant mansions on the other. The Cliff Walk remains one of Newport’s top attractions. Stretch your legs and enjoy the sights as our guide shares stories about America’s Gilded Age and the cast of characters who made Newport one the USA’s wealthiest summer resorts.
Early in the morning, we sail into Manhattan, passing by the stunning Statue of Liberty. Enjoy the skyline of this iconic metropolis, before it is time to say farewell. We recommend staying a few days in the city that never sleeps to get even more out your holiday.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich programme of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Visa for USA (ESTA) and Canada (ETA) - for details please see Visa information in Entry requirements
MS Roald Amundsen
|Ship yard||Kleven Yards|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
New York: Post-Programme
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Roald Amundsen
- Meet our Expedition Team
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board