Central America – From Ecuador to Baja California
Duration: 16 days
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen
16 April 2020
Price from : £ 3292 per personCheck prices and availability
- Experience the best of Latin America – six countries on one expedition cruise
- Explore stunning landscapes, balmy climates and colourful cultures
- Get close to rich biodiversity - monkeys, mangroves, humming birds and more
- Visit amazing national parks
- Day 1 Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Day 2 Guayaquil - Embarkation
- Day 3 At sea
- Day 4 Gorgona Island, Colombia
- Day 5 Bahía Solano, Colombia
- Day 6 Darien National Park, Panama
- Day 7 Cebaco Island, Panama
- Day 8 Golfito, Costa Rica
- Day 9 Quepos, Costa Rica
- Day 10 San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
- Day 11-12 At sea
- Day 13 Acapulco, Mexico
- Day 14-15 At sea
- Day 16 La Paz, Baja California, Mexico - Disembarkation
Guayaquil was founded in 1538 and quickly became the largest shipyard in South America, often being attacked by pirates. We recommend a stroll through the historic centre, a visit of the Mercado Artesanal or a walk along the riverfront at Malecon 2000. Overnight at hotel.
After breakfast we take you on a city tour to learn more about the city and its interesting history. The tour ends at the pier where MS Roald Amundsen awaits your embarkation.
Enjoy your first day at sea! We will celebrate crossing the Equator with a special ceremony. Our Expedition Team will start the lecture programme, introduce the voyage and let you know about plans for the exciting days ahead.
Situated about 35 km off the Colombian Pacific coast, we will spend a day in Gorgona Island National Park, home to 620 square kilometres of rich wildlife and tropical forest.
The colourful village of Bahía Solano is set in magnificent isolation. Beaches are nearby and the jungle with lush tropical flora and fauna awaits you.
Our first stop in Panama is Punta Alegre, a little town which gives us access to the Darien National Park, listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage site. The tropical rain forest hosts an abundance of wildlife and remarkable plants as well as being home to three indigenous tribes, the Embara, Kuna and Wounaan.
Cebaco Island, in the Gulf of Montijo, is Panama’s third-biggest island. The main settlement is El Jobo, and the island boasts beautiful beaches with breathtaking coastline offering a variety of activities.
Enjoy a day of adventure and exploration. Golfito is home to some wonderful views. Come ashore and relax on golden beaches for surfing and swimming. The nearby national park of Piedras Blancas offers fine walking tours through rainforest and the chance to see waterfalls, monkeys, bats and exotic birds.
Cultural and Historical Sightseeing Tour (1 - 1h30)
Join us for a cultural and historical tour of Golfito, the southernmost port town in Costa Rica with a long banana plantation history. See how the plantation company shaped the town on a tour in a specially designed bus and enjoy a marimba show from the comfort of your coach.
Quepos is the gateway to Manuel Antonio National Park, renowned for three-toed sloths, howler, squirrel and endangered white-faced capuchin monkeys, as well as hundreds of bird species. The park boasts mangroves, lagoons, white-sand beaches, coral reefs and rainforest with hiking trails that are great for exploring.
Cultural Show (30 mins)
Folkloric Dancing is not only colorful and exciting to watch, but each dance tells it's own story. Costa Rica has a rich history with folkloric dancing, and we are happy to offer you the chance to see a performance yourself right onboard!
Welcome to Nicaragua and the coastal town of San Juan del Sur, known for its long sandy half-moon-shaped beach, green hills, seafood restaurants and laidback surfer lifestyle. Enjoy a relaxed day on the beach and exploring the town or join one of our excursions.
Experience Colorful Grenada & School Visit (5h30)
Experience the beauty of Nicaragua on this lovely half-day adventure to the picturesque city of Granada, along Lake Nicaragua and in the shadow of towering Mombacho volcano. Founded in 1524, Granada’s historic churches and convents have survived both earthquakes and invasions by English, Dutch and French pirates. Visit a local school where you can donate school supplies and enjoy some free time strolling around.
Days at sea mean you can join the Expedition Team for interesting lectures, learn the basics of expedition photography, and spend time out on deck enjoying the fresh sea air as you scout for wildlife. Bask in the serenity of a day at sea.
Get to know the famed resort of Acapulco. The stunning landscape with wide bays, sandy beaches and green hills will fascinate you. Visit the botanical garden, the impressive 17th-century fort and of course one of the many beaches.
City Tour and Cliff Divers (3h30)
Go on a scenic drive through Acapulco and pay a visit to La Quebrada, home to Acapulco’s famous cliff divers. We pass famous beaches, the city centre and many resort hotels. At La Quebrada you can watch the world famous divers leap into the Pacific. Relax and enjoy a soft drink whilst taking in the spectacle!
We recap the voyage and enjoy two peaceful days at sea as we make our way north to Baja California. Enjoy the ships many facilities and spend time on deck to scout for wildlife.
In the morning, we arrive in Pichilingue, the port of La Paz on the Baja California Peninsula. After disembarking, we recommend visiting La Paz’s waterfront malecón and the historic centre around the Plaza Constitución. Viva Mexico!
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Guayaquil before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer from hotel to ship including a city tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich programme of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including awelcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- A mandatory yellow fever vaccination is required - see Entry requirements here
MS Roald Amundsen
|Ship yard||Kleven Yards|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Guayaquil - Pre-Programme Machu Picchu 20/21
Guayaquil - Pre-Programme Galápagos Islands 20/21
La Paz: Post-programme (20/21)
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Roald Amundsen
- Meet our Expedition Team
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board