Caribbean Sea – Discover Cayes, Coves and Reefs
Duration: 16 days
Ship: MS Fram
25 September 2020
Price from : £ 4327 per personCheck prices and availability
- Explore the highlights of the Caribbean coast, sailing from exciting New York
- Visit seven different countries in one voyage
- Visit tropical paradise islands and beaches
- Discover rich local cultures and traditions
Book this expedition cruise* before 31 July 2019 and get flights from London Heathrow included in the price.
Read more about the flight offer here.
The offer is only applicable on 2020 and 2021 departures.
- Day 1 New York - Embarkation
- Day 2-3 At sea
- Day 4 Charleston, USA
- Day 5 At sea
- Day 6 Key West, USA
- Day 7 At sea
- Day 8 Cozumel, Mexico
- Day 9 Isla de Útila
- Day 10 At sea
- Day 11 Isla de Providencia, Colombia
- Day 12 San Andrés Island, Colombia
- Day 13 Corn Island, Nicaragua
- Day 14 Bocas del Toro, Panama
- Day 15 Puerto Limon / San José, Costa Rica - Disembarkation
- Day 16 San José, Costa Rica
Our expedition cruise starts in energetic, one-of-a-kind New York City in beautiful autumn colours. Spend some time enjoying all that Manhattan has to offer before embarking on MS Fram. Join us on deck as we sail out of Manhattan and past the Statue of Liberty.
Days at sea are yours to enjoy. The Expedition Team will start a series of introductory lectures about history, biology and life in the ocean. Enjoy the onboard facilities and come outside on deck to spot for marine wildlife and sea birds guiding our vessel.
Charleston is considered one of Americas greatest historic treasures. With cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages and an elegant French Quarter, the city is ideal to explore on foot. Stroll the magnificent Battery promenade and Waterfront Park. Explore the city and its historic sites at your leisure or join one of our optional excursions.
Spend time on deck as we head south to feel the air getting warmer and warmer. Enjoy the serenity of sea days. Listen in as our experienced lecturers share their extensive knowledge and meet our Expedition Team outside on deck to spot marine wildlife and sea birds.
The southernmost island in the Florida Keys and only 140 kilometres from Cuba, laid-back Key West is perfect for a day of exploration. Stroll amidst the 19th century architecture in Old Town and visit the Ernest Hemmingway House Museum or just cool off with a drink at the famous Sloppy Joe’s Bar.
Our Expedition Team continues its lecture programme, sharing their extensive knowledge and experience and letting you know about plans for the exciting days ahead.
Visit San Miguel de Cozumel and spend the day ashore in this lively island town, enjoying the restaurants, cafes and nearby beaches. Discover the island at your leisure or join one of the excursion options of the day.
Known for its coral reefs and dive sites, Útila is the smallest of the Honduras Bay Islands. We will come ashore in Utila town, the island´s only settlement. Relax in town, visit the Iguana Research & Breeding Station to see local species or enjoy some of the nearby beaches.
Enjoy a pleasant day at sea as we make our way further south. The Expedition Team will recap the voyage so far and prepare you for the next days which will be full of tropical island experiences. Spend time on deck and look for birds or other wildlife following us on our travels.
Providencia is an unspoiled tropical island with traditions that remain intact. You will still hear English Creole spoken here. Enjoy breathtaking scenery, lovely sand beaches, friendly locals, and a lovely sunset as we set sail late in the evening.
Another day in paradise awaits. Explore some of San Andres Island’s natural attractions at your leisure or join one of the optional activities of the day.
The Creole inhabitants of Great Corn Island live in colourful wooden houses and earn most of their income from lobster fishing. With white sand beaches and crystal-clear waters, you can enjoy snorkeling here, or take a hike up Mount Pleasant Hill for a view of the entire island.
We round up our extensive journey with by calling on Bocas del Toro, an archipelago of cays and thousands of islets. Bocas is brimming with sandy beaches and is called the `Galápagos of the Caribbean´ because it is one of the most biologically diverse places on Earth.
Puerto Limón boasts fascinating architecture and vibrant open-air marketplaces. The central market is the place to go to buy everything from carved wood items to traditional souvenirs. After disembarkation, we transfer you to San José for your overnight stay. On the way, enjoy a fascinating excursion to the Tortuguero Canal.
Today your expedition cruise comes to an end. If you would like to extend your stay in Costa Rica, we recommend booking our Post-programme for a visit to beautiful Manuel Antonio National Park.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer from ship in Puerto Limon to hotel in San José including lunch and an excursion
- One hotel night in San José after the voyage including breakfast
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich programme of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Visa for USA (ESTA)
- On this trip, a vaccine against yellow fever is required. The vaccination must be done at least 10 days before departure. Please bring the vaccination certificate on your voyage.
For details please see Entry requirements
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Ship yard||Fincantieri, Italy|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.