Antarctica – Southern Hemisphere Adventure (Northbound)
Duration: 19 days
Ship: MS Fridtjof Nansen
16 March 2021
Price from : £ 9349 per personCheck prices and availability
- Experience Antarctica, Patagonia, and the Falklands on one expedition cruise
- See amazing wildlife; penguins, seals, whales, albatrosses and more
- Enjoy landings and ice-cruising in Antarctica
- Wide-ranging Science and activity programme led by our expert Expedition Team
Book this expedition cruise* before 31 July 2019 and get flights from London Heathrow included in the price.
Read more about the flight offer here.
The offer is only applicable on 2020 and 2021 departures.
This adventure starts with an overnight stay in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover the ´Paris of South America´ for yourself or extend your stay by an optional pre-programme to explore Wild Patagonia.
Prepare yourself for Antarctica as we cross the famed Drake Passage. Learn about the fascinating history and environmental science of Antarctica from our Expedition Team in the Science Center. This is a great time to enjoy all the amenities of our advanced hybrid powered expedition ship.
Antarctica never fails to inspire awe and wonder, with white horizons above oceans full of icebergs and whales. Perhaps even more awe-inspiring will be your first encounter with the huge colonies of penguins.
Our Expedition Team will lead ice-cruising and landings at every opportunity to come ashore and explore the impressive Antarctic scenery. From deck, there are great chances to spot whales. Of course, this is true wilderness, so nature is in charge, but our experienced captain will work with the elements to create the best possible itinerary for your adventure.
We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula and aim to bring you to the incredible diversity of landscapes and rich wildlife on display in this pristine wilderness.
Wherever we explore, the sights and sounds and of Antarctica are sure to stay with you for a lifetime!
The Expedition Team will continue the lecture programme, covering history and the great explorers, marine biology, wildlife, oceanography and climate change. Spend some time on deck and look out for wildlife as we make out way north to the Falklands. We are usually followed by different sea bird species, such as albatrosses.
As we reach the westernmost outposts in the Falklands you will see remote farms that have been family-owned for several generations.
We may call on New Island, which boasts white sand beaches and turquoise waters that could easily be mistaken for those on a Caribbean isle.
Carcass Island is another possible stop, an avian paradise with ducks, geese, penguins, albatrosses, caracaras and wrens. We hope to go ashore for exploring, hiking or taking a closer look at the wildlife.
Stanley, the capital of the Falklands, is inviting and a good size for roaming the streets on foot. Or you can join an optional excursion to explore the wilderness and wildlife in the surrounding area. We will be docked in Stanley throughout the day.
Days at sea are full of activity. Our Expedition Team leads fascinating talks and lectures in the Science Center and MS Fridtjof Nansen offers a Wellness area as well as a pool and hot tubs.
The Valdez Peninsula is a stunning nature reserve that has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site. Situated on Argentina's Patagonian coast, this peninsula is home to dramatic natural habitats. Enjoy our wide variety of optional excursions starting in Puerto Madryn that bring you closer to wildlife and let you experience the Gaucho-lifestyle of Patagonia.
After exhilarating days in Patagonia, Antarctica and the Falklands, the final days of the voyage are spent sailing north while the temperatures rise. Relax with your fellow explorers on the outer decks, restaurants and lounges, and enjoy the Farewell dinner on the last evening.
Montevideo boasts colourful cultural diversity, with a picturesque blend of colonial Spanish, Italian and Art Deco architectural styles. You can visit the Ciudad Vieja (Old Town), the vibrant Mercado del Puerto, museums, art galleries, and the stretch of white, sandy beaches surrounding the city after disembarking from MS Fridtjof Nansen.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Buenos Aires before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Buenos Aires
- Economy flight Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
- Transfer airport to ship in Ushuaia including an orientation tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- À la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel.
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Ship yard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom built ships – and the next generation expedition ship. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Buenos Aires - Pre-programme Wild Patagonia 20/21
Buenos Aires - Post-programme Iguazu Falls 20/21
Buenos Aires City Tour (20/21)
Buenos Aires Pre-excursion: Trendy Buenos Aires
Ushuaia - Scenic drive and hiking at the end of the world (20/21)
Sailing with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- MS Fridtjof Nansen: Life on board and Practical information
- Meet our Expedition Team
- Landing sites in Antarctica
- Young Explorers’ Programme