Antarctica, Patagonia, Chilean Fjords – Voyage of Discovery (Southbound)
Duration: 18 days
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen
18 October 2020
Price from : £ 7790 per personCheck prices and availability
- Experience Patagonia and Antarctica in one expedition cruise
- Discover the magnificent Chilean fjords
- See Cape Horn and cross the Drake Passage
- Enjoy ice-cruising, landings and wildlife encounters in Antarctica
Book this expedition cruise* before 31 July 2019 and get flights from London Heathrow included in the price.
Read more about the flight offer here.
The offer is only applicable on 2020 and 2021 departures.
This expedition cruise starts in colourful Valparaíso. One of the best ways of seeing this town is by riding its funiculars to sweeping views. Explore the port to get a feel for Chile’s seafaring side. We also recommend a visit to the Historic Quarter or extend your cruise by exploring the amazing Atacama Desert with our optional Pre-programme before embarking on MS Roald Amundsen.
As we make our way along the Pacific coast of Chile, the Expedition Team will start the lecture programme to prepare you for the experiences ahead. Make sure to spend some time on deck to look out for wildlife.
Castro, set among windswept hills and green vegetation, is known for its colourful `palafitos´, wooden houses mounted on stilts along the water's edge, as well as the UNESCO World Heritage Site Iglesia San Francisco.
We sail south through the fabled waters of Patagonia and to one of the world’s most remote and beautiful places: the province of Ultima Esperanza, meaning Last Hope. We voyage through iconic Andean seascapes for views of a glorious expanse of undisturbed nature.
The village of Puerto Edén in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park will enchant you. It is known for its geographical isolation, situated at the end of a deep fjord and surrounded by mountains. Its population of 250 includes the 15 remaining members of the Kawéskar people.
Puerto Natales is the gateway to the Torres del Paine National Park, world famous for the impressive “Torres del Paine” (Towers of Paine) rock formation.
Explore the park on our optional excursion to discover a landscape of stunning variety, from the vast open steppe to rugged mountain terrain topped by looming peaks that host a wide variety of wildlife. Watch for llamas, pumas, and foxes in addition to more than 100 species of birds like the Andean condor.
Deep fjords and tall mountains plunging into the icy water characterise this wild area that seems almost untouched by humans. Glacial ice has scoured its way between the mountains, creating the lovely isolated islands and hidden bays that form this unique fjord landscape.
In the morning we will sail through the scenic Beagle Channel before we continue into open waters, and if conditions allow, we will make an attempt to land on Cape Horn – the southernmost tip of South America.
Next, we sail the legendary Drake Passage while our lecture series prepares you for Antarctica’s fantastic wildlife and history.
Antarctica never ceases to amaze and astound. Ninety per cent of the world´s ice is here, and the continent virtually doubles in size of due to sea ice in the winter. In summer, it is a cradle of life, a vital breeding ground for millions of penguins, whales and seals.
As outlined in the Antarctic Treaty, this is a continent dedicated to peace, science and tourism that has evolved through millenniums without human interference. Therefore, we adhere to very strict environmental guidelines. We want to leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures!
The elements rule in Antarctica, and our experienced captain will create the best itinerary possible for your adventure. We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula and aim to show you the diversity of the reigion´s wildlife and landscape.
Our expert Expedition Team will take you out for ice-cruising and exciting landing activities. There may also be the chance to kayak in the company of whales and icebergs, hike in amazing scenery and perhaps camp on the world´s most isolated continent.
It´s hard to put this wild beauty into words. As a well-known quote from a veteran Antarctic traveler put it: “If you can describe Antarctica with words, you have probably never been there.”
MS Roald Amundsen takes us safely back across the Drake Passage as we continue our lecture series and recap our experiences of Antarctica.
Sadly, every expedition must come to an end. When we reach Punta Arenas, on the edge of the Strait of Magellan, it is time to say goodbye. Your journey home continues with your flight to Santiago de Chile, where you have a chance to extend your stay and enjoy our optional Post-programme.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer ship to airport in Punta Arenas
- Economy flight from Punta Arenas to Santiago de Chile
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel.
MS Roald Amundsen
|Ship yard||Kleven Yards|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten will add a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Santiago: Atacama Desert (pre)
Santiago & Valparaiso: Pre-programme
Santiago de Chile - Pre-excursion: The Best of Santiago de Chile 20/21
Valparaiso/Santiago: Easter Island
Santiago Post-Excursion: Maipo Valley Vineyard Tour
Santiago - Post-Excursion: Typical Chilean Dinner & Music
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Roald Amundsen
- Meet our Expedition Team
- Landing sites in Antarctica
- Young Explorers’ Programme