Antarctica, Patagonia, Chilean fjords – Exploration of the Southern Highlights (Southbound)
Duration: 19 days
Ship: MS Fram
24 October 2020
Price from : £ 7769 per personCheck prices and availability
- Enjoy ice-cruising, landings and optional activities in Antarctica
- Experience both Patagonia and Antarctica in one expedition cruise
- Opportunity to visit Torres del Paine National Park
- Sail into the Chilean fjords and see Cape Horn
One of the best ways of getting around Valparaiso is to ride the charming funiculars for sweeping views. Explore the port and piers to get a feel for Chile’s quirky seafaring side or explore the amazing Atacama Desert by adding it as a Pre-programme activity before embarking on MS Fram.
As we make our way along the Pacific coast, the Expedition Team will start their lecture programme to prepare you for the experiences ahead. Make sure to spend some time on deck to look out for wildlife.
Located on Isla Grande de Chiloé, Castro is set among windswept hills and is known for its colourful `palafitos´; wooden houses mounted on stilts. Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site Iglesia San Francisco and spot for dozens of seabird species, as well as penguins and sea lions.
Castro Walking Tour (2 hrs)
Explore landmarks and cultural sights on a city walk through Castro, the capital of Chile’s Chiloé Island. Castro is famous for its ornate church, Iglesia de San Francisco, and the nearby districts of Rilán, Nercón and Chelín are known for their unique wooden churches, designated UNESCO World Heritage sites. Castro and Chiloé are also famous for palafitos, traditional wooden stilt houses.
We sail south through Patagonia to one of the world’s most remote and beautiful places: the southern province of Ultima Esperanza, meaning Last Hope. We voyage through iconic Andean seascapes and you have plenty of time to gaze out on the glorious expanse of undisturbed nature.
The isolated village of Puerto Edén in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park will enchant you, set at the end of a deep fjord and surrounded by high mountains. Its population of 250 includes the 15 remaining members of the Kawéskar tribe.
Puerto Natales is the gateway to the world-renowned Torres del Paine National Park, named for the famed rock formations of Torre Central, Sur and Norte. Explore the park on our optional excursion and get a taste of the stunning variety, from the vast open steppe to rugged mountain terrain topped by looming peaks.
Keep an eye out for llamas, pumas, and chilla foxes in addition to more than 100 species of birds like the Andean condor.
Scenes of Puerto Natales (3 hrs)
Explore the small city of Puerto Natales and its scenic surroundings. Visit Plaza de Armas, a tree-lined square in the town centre, and then go to a large cave where the bones of a prehistoric ground sloth called a Milodón were found in 1896. The cave attracts many visitors and features a historical display of the tribes who inhabited the area as far back as 12,000 years ago.
This area´s natural beauty features deep fjords and tall mountains plunging into the icy water in a landscape that seems almost untouched by humans. Bask in the beautiful stillness as we cruise past isolated islands and hidden bays that form the unique natural gem of the Chilean landscape.
In the morning, we sail through the Beagle Channel, named after the ship that carried Charles Darwin on his voyage of discovery – HMS Beagle. If conditions allow, we attempt to land on Cape Horn – the southernmost tip of South America. Going ashore can be very difficult because of the sometimes-extreme weather in this area.
Next, we cross the Drake Passage, where two oceans meet, on our way to the most remote continent on Earth. On our way, you can learn a great deal about Antarctica’s fantastic wildlife and history from our Expedition Team.
This wilderness is full of overwhelming impressions on an impressive scale. Our expert captain and crew will work with the elements to create an itinerary designed to maximise your enjoyment of the amazing wildlife and landscape of Antarctica.
We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula with the aim of showing you the rich diversity of landscapes and wildlife on display in Antarctica.
At every opportunity, our Expedition Team will take you out for landings or ice cruising to get close and truly explore Antarctic beauty, while being sure not to disturb the wildlife.
You may also have the chance to kayak in untouched waters with icebergs floating by, take guided hikes to spectacular viewing points, or even spend the night in a tent. Every day will be different, and each carefully crafted by our Expedition Team to create lasting memories.
After five unforgettable days in Antarctica, MS Fram takes us safely back across the famous Drake Passage. The voyage from the Antarctic Peninsula to the southern tip of Argentina is roughly 950 km (600 mi) or 40 hours sailing time in good weather. During the voyage north, we will continue our lecture series and recap our experiences of Antarctica.
Sadly, every expedition must come to an end. When we reach Ushuaia, it is time to say goodbye. Your journey home continues with your flight to Buenos Aires, where you have a chance to extend your stay and enjoy our optional Land Adventure programs.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer in Ushuaia from ship to airport
- Economy flight from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- A la carte restaurant (for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel.
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Ship yard||Fincantieri, Italy|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Santiago & Valparaiso: Pre-programme
Santiago de Chile - Pre-excursion: The Best of Santiago de Chile 20/21
Ushuaia - Scenic drive and hiking at the end of the world (20/21)
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Dinner & Tango Show
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Tigre Delta Tour
Buenos Aires - Post-programme Iguazu Falls 20/21
Sailing with MS Fram
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Fram
- Meet our Expedition Team
- Landing sites in Antarctica