Antarctica, Falklands, South Georgia – The Ultimate Expedition
Duration: 23 days
Ship: MS Fram
10 November 2020
22 December 2020
Price from : £ 9642 per personCheck prices and availability
- Enjoy landings to see thousands of animals: seals, penguins, birds and whales
- Hike, kayak and go ice-cruising in stunning Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia
- Chance to come ashore on isolated beaches and spend the night in a tent
- Experience an in-depth exploration of the ‘Galapagos of the Poles’, South Georgia, home to vast numbers of King penguins
Book this expedition cruise before 31 March 2020 and get flights from London Heathrow included in the price.
Read more about the flight offer here.
The offer is only applicable on 2020 and 2021 departures.
Your adventure starts with an overnight stay in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. We offer an optional city tour in the afternoon. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover the `Paris of South America´ for yourself.
Your flight to Ushuaia leaves Buenos Aires early in the morning, allowing time to explore Ushuaia or to join an optional excursion to Tierra del Fuego National Park before embarking on MS Fram. In the evening, we sail through the scenic Beagle Channel.
We cross the open sea towards the Falkland Islands. Enjoy our in-depth lectures and keep an eye out for wildlife from deck.
The Falklands teem with wildlife, and offer clear blue skies, vast vistas and stunning white beaches. Here, the sheep graze alongside colonies of penguins, while caracaras patrol overhead and geese forage at the water’s edge. Penguins waddle close to take a look, then continue on their way, providing great photo opportunities!
We hope to go ashore for exploring, hiking or taking a closer look at all the birds. Stanley makes an excellent starting point for our excursions. We will be docked in the capital the entire day, giving you time to discover on foot, as most shops and services are clustered around the port.
Stanley self guided walk (1 - 2 t)
Take a short self-guided walk to get insight into life in the Falklands. Start at the historic Jubilee Villa gardens where local flora and fauna are found, stroll along Ross Road and visit Christchurch cathedral and the Whalebone Arch before proceeding to the Historic Dockyard Museum. Take the tour as part of a group or on an individual basis.
IncludedStanley - Community WalkTake this self-timed walk through the highlights of Stanley's Capital.
Stanley - Falklands Nature TrekFor the nature enthusiast, this trek is an exclusive opportunity to view Falkland Islands wildlife and flora.
Stanley - Bluff Cove LagoonEnjoy a private wildlife haven on this exclusive tour to view king, gentoo and magellanic penguins as well as multitudes of sea birds, ending with tea in a café on the beach.
Stanley - Scenic Air TourSee the Falkland Islands from another perspective. There is no better way to see these remote South Atlantic islands than by air.
Stanley - Port Stanley HighlightsIf you want to see the highlights of Stanley in a short amount of time, then this is the ideal tour for you! Join this guided coach tour, taking you to interesting sites while you learn about the history of the Falkland Islands.
We spend two days cruising to beautiful South Georgia. En route you can participate in lectures about the area’s wildlife, whaling and polar history.
Our Expedition Team is well-versed in every facet of South Georgia, from its geology and glaciology to the mating rituals of seals and the legends of the Norwegian whalers. One of the fascinating stories that will be told is that of Sir Ernest Shackleton, the men of the ill-fated Endurance, and their amazing feats of bravery.
We explore the thriving ecosystem and rich history of South Georgia. The area is known as the Serengeti of the Southern Ocean and is a world-famous location for wildlife photographers.
South Georgia’s unique position inside the Antarctic ecosystem - yet outside the limit of sea ice - makes an ideal home for tens of millions of breeding penguins, seals and seabirds. During our stay here, you will see adult seals lounge on the sand while their pups race in and out of the water, albatross soar overhead, and penguins cluster in their thousands. Enjoy the sight of hanging glaciers, cliffs, and scenic lagoons.
You will also visit a museum, the Norwegian seaman’s church, and the grave of explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton. South Georgia also offers good hiking, and one of our favourite trails follows part of Shakleton´s route on his brave journey across rugged mountains to find help for the 22 men left on isolated Elephant Island.
As we continue towards Antarctica you can learn more about the wonders of the Deep South, focusing on the history, environment and wildlife of the region. With favourable conditions, we aim to cruise by the Washington Strait and Coronation Island before setting course towards Elephant Island and Antarctica.
Antarctica is a world apart from anything else on Earth! The first signs of our approach may be penguins in the water, or blue-white icebergs drifting by. This is true wilderness, and our captain will work with the elements to design the very best itinerary for your expedition cruise.
There are no permanent human inhabitants in Antarctica, but it is home to millions of penguins and the feeding area for thousands of whales. The penguins are fearless when encountering humans, and they might be just as curious about you, as you are about them.
We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula and aim to show you the diversity of the reigion´s wildlife and landscape.
Whenever opportunities arise, our Expedition Team will offer the chance to go out on kayaks, pitch tents ashore or take you on unforgettable hikes to explore the most beautiful, untouched places on the planet.
Every day will be different, and each will be carefully crafted by our Expedition Team to create lasting memories.
On our way back to civilisation, we will continue our lecture series and recap our experiences of Antarctica. The voyage from the Antarctic Peninsula to Ushuaia at the southern tip of Argentina is roughly 950 km (600 miles) or 40 hours of sailing time in good weather.
We make landfall in Tierra del Fuego. Your voyage ends in the world’s southernmost town, Ushuaia, and your journey back continues with a flight to Buenos Aires. If you crave some sun after exploring Antarctica, we recommend you join one of our Post-programme adventures in Buenos Aires.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Buenos Aires before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Buenos Aires
- Return economy flights Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
- Transfers in Ushuaia incl. an orientation tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel.
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Ship yard||Fincantieri, Italy|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||11 647 T|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.
Some expedition cruises may include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Stanley - Community Walk
Stanley - Falklands Nature Trek
Stanley - Bluff Cove Lagoon Tour
Stanley - Scenic air tour
Stanley - Port Stanley Highlights tour
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Buenos Aires - Pre-programme Wild Patagonia 20/21
Buenos Aires City Tour (20/21)
Buenos Aires Pre-excursion: Trendy Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires - Estancia Santa Susana (20/21)
Pre-excursion: Tierra del Fuego National Park in Ushuaia
Buenos Aires - Post-programme Iguazu Falls 20/21
Ushuaia - Scenic drive and hiking at the end of the world (20/21)
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Dinner & Tango Show
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Tigre Delta Tour
Before you travel with MS Fram
- Antarctica Travel Guide
- Antarctica: Frequently Asked Questions
- What to pack for Expedition Cruises
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Entry requirements for your travel