Your adventure starts with an overnight stay in Santiago, the exciting and diverse capital of Chile. There is much to discover here, from Andean glaciers at the city borders, to skyscrapers in the centre, to lovely colonial architecture, to the shores of the fast-flowing Mapacho River. Why not extend your expedition by adding an optional Pre-programme adventure to the amazing Atacama Desert?
Fly early in the morning to Punta Arenas where the hybrid powered MS Roald Amundsen awaits, ready for your expedition cruise to Antarctica.
Enjoy cruising the scenic Beagle Channel, surrounded by mountains plunging straight into the icy water. This wild and remote area seems almost undisturbed by humans. Take in the isolated islands, hidden bays and rich wildlife that create one the world´s most beautiful landscapes.
Cape Horn is the southernmost point of South America, and we will do our best to make a landing here. MS Roald Amundsen will then cross the famed Drake Passage to Antarctica. On the way, enjoy fascinating lectures from our Expedition Team in the Science Center and take advantage of the Wellness area and other onboard amenities.
Antarctica is wilderness on a massive scale. It is home to 90 per cent of the world´s ice, reaching up to 4,000 metres in thickness. Winter sea ice virtually doubles the size of the continent. In summer, Antarctica is a breeding ground for millions of penguins, whales and seals.
As outlined in the Antarctic Treaty, this is a continent dedicated to peace, science and tourism. No human activity permitted that can alter the perfect natural balance that has evolved through millennia without interference. That´s why we follow very strict environmental guidelines and rules. We want to leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures!
Our captain and Expedition Team will take advantage of the often-ideal conditions to take you ice-cruising, and to come ashore on landings for exciting activities. You may have the chance to kayaks the icy waters in the company of whales, hike or even tent camp on the world´s most isolated continent.
It´s hard to sum up all that an expedition cruise to Antarctica will give you. As a well-known quote from veteran Antarctic travellers puts it: “If you can describe Antarctica with words, you have probably never been there.”
After exploring this unforgettable continent, we set course for the Falkland Islands. Our Expedition Team will brief you about the history and biology of the Islands, point out wildlife from our outer decks and scout for the Albatrosses that often guide our way.
After the wilderness of Antarctica, enjoy the contrast provided by Stanley, with red phone boxes, red buses and old pubs. The capital is good size for roaming the streets on foot, or you can join an excursion to explore the wilderness and wildlife in the surrounding area. We will be docked here throughout the day.
The Falklands are teeming with wonders of nature, with fantastically clear blue skies, seamless horizons and stunning white sand beaches.
As we reach the westernmost outposts in the Falklands, you will see remote farms that have been family-owned for generations. We may go ashore on Carcass Island - an avian paradise with ducks, geese, penguins, albatrosses, caracaras and wrens. We hope to go ashore for exploring, hiking or taking a closer look at the birds.
Stanley self guided walk (1 - 2 hrs)
Take a short self-guided walk to get insight into life in the Falklands. Start at the historic Jubilee Villa gardens where local flora and fauna are found, stroll along Ross Road and visit Christchurch cathedral and the Whalebone Arch before proceeding to the Historic Dockyard Museum. Take the tour as part of a group or on an individual basis.
IncludedStanley - Community WalkTake this self-timed walk through the highlights of Stanley's Capital.
Stanley - Falklands Nature TrekFor the nature enthusiast, this trek is an exclusive opportunity to view Falkland Islands wildlife and flora.
Stanley - Bluff Cove LagoonEnjoy a private wildlife haven on this exclusive tour to view king, gentoo and magellanic penguins as well as multitudes of sea birds, ending with tea in a café on the beach.
Stanley - Scenic Air TourSee the Falkland Islands from another perspective. There is no better way to see these remote South Atlantic islands than by air.
Stanley - Port Stanley HighlightsIf you want to see the highlights of Stanley in a short amount of time, then this is the ideal tour for you! Join this guided coach tour, taking you to interesting sites while you learn about the history of the Falkland Islands.
As we complete the loop of the Magellan Strait, we will have a recap of everything we have experienced on this expedition cruise in the Science Center. Make sure you spend some time on deck looking for wildlife.
We arrive back in Punta Arenas in the morning. After the flight back to Santiago de Chile, you can extend your vacation with a Post-programme adventure to experience more of this impressive region.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Overnight in Santiago de Chile before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Santiago de Chile
- Return economy flight from Santiago de Chile to Punta Arenas
- Transfer airport to ship in Punta Arenas including city tour and lunchbox
- Transfer ship to airport in Punta Arenas
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel.
MS Roald Amundsen
|Ship yard||Kleven Yards|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Some expedition cruises include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Stanley - Community Walk
Stanley - Falklands Nature Trek
Stanley - Bluff Cove Lagoon Tour
Stanley - Scenic air tour
Stanley - Port Stanley Highlights tour
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Santiago de Chile - Pre-programme Atacama Desert (20/21 and 21/22)
Santiago de Chile - Pre-programme Chilean Patagonia (20/21 and 21/22)
Santiago de Chile - Pre-excursion: The Best of Santiago de Chile (20/21 and 21/22)
Santiago de Chile - Pre-Excursion: Maipo Valley Vineyard Tour (20/21 and 21/22)
Santiago de Chile - Pre-Excursion: Santiago Walking Tour (20/21 and 21/22)
Valparaiso/Santiago: Easter Island (20/21 and 21/22)
Santiago Post-Excursion: Maipo Valley Vineyard Tour (20/21 and 21/22)
Santiago - Post-Excursion: Typical Chilean Dinner & Music
Before you travel with MS Roald Amundsen
- Antarctica Travel Guide
- Antarctica: Frequently Asked Questions
- What to pack for Expedition Cruises
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Entry requirements for your travel