Antarctica, Chilean Fjords, Falklands – Great Explorers and Wildlife
Duration: 20 days
Ship: MS Roald Amundsen
23 January 2021
10 February 2021
28 February 2021
Price from : £ 8816 per personCheck prices and availability
- Combine Patagonia, the Falklands and Antarctica in a single extraordinary journey
- Venture below the Antarctic Circle
- See incredible wildlife: penguins, whales, seals, albatross and many more
- Explore on ice-cruising and landing activities designed for true adventure
Book this expedition cruise before 31 March 2020 and get flights from London Heathrow included in the price.
Read more about the flight offer here.
The offer is only applicable on 2020 and 2021 departures.
Your adventure starts with an overnight stay in Santiago, the exciting and diverse capital of Chile. There is much to discover here, from Andean glaciers at the city borders, to skyscrapers in the centre, to lovely colonial architecture, to the shores of the fast-flowing Mapacho River. Why not extend your expedition by adding an optional Pre-programme adventure to the amazing Atacama Desert?
Fly early in the morning to Punta Arenas where the hybrid powered MS Roald Amundsen awaits, ready for your expedition cruise to Antarctica.
Enjoy cruising the scenic Beagle Channel, surrounded by mountains plunging straight into the icy water. This wild and remote area seems almost undisturbed by humans. Take in the isolated islands, hidden bays and rich wildlife that create one the world´s most beautiful landscapes.
As the southernmost point of South America, Cape Horn ranks among the most iconic places on Earth. If conditions allow, we will make a landing here before traversing the famed Drake Passage to Antarctica. Enjoy lectures in our Science Center and all the amenities of our state-of-the-art hybrid powered expedition ship on the crossing.
Antarctica never fails to inspire awe and wonder. Ninety per cent of the world´s ice is here, in some places up to 4,000 metres thick, covering the landmass. In winter, sea ice virtually doubles the size of the continent. In summer, it is a fertile breeding ground for millions of penguins, seals and whales.
As outlined in the Antarctic Treaty, this is a continent dedicated to peace, science and tourism. No human activity is permitted that alters the perfect natural balance that has evolved through millennia without interference. That´s why we follow very strict environmental rules. We want to leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures!
This is true wilderness, so our experienced captain will work with the conditions to create the best possible itinerary for your adventure.
We will attempt landings on several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula and aim to show you the diversity of the regions wildlife and landscape.
On this special voyage, we hope to cross the Polar Circle at 66°33’ south, far beyond the limit of most cruises in Antarctica, venturing far into the areas that are permanently iced down and unnavigable in the winter.
Whenever opportunities arise, our Expedition Team will take you for landings and ice cruising to get close to the surreal beauty of Antarctica.
It´s hard to sum up the power of the experience. As a well-known quote from veteran Antarctic travellers puts it: “If you can describe Antarctica with words, you have probably never been there.”
After exploring this unforgettable continent, we set course for the Falkland Islands, which consist of two large islands and around 700 smaller isles. There is fascinating history here, as Captain John Strong of HMS Welfare made the first recorded landing in 1690.
Our Expedition Team will hold fascinating lectures in our Science Center, and point out wildlife from our outer decks.
We arrive at a colourful English village, a powerful contrast to white Antarctica, with red phone boxes, red buses and old pubs. Stanley, the capital of the Falklands, is inviting and a good size for roaming the streets on foot. Or you can join an excursion to explore the wilderness and wildlife in the surrounding area.
The Falklands are teeming with wonders of nature, with fantastically clear blue skies, seamless horizons and stunning white sand beaches. Bird lovers will appreciate West Point Island, an avian paradise with penguins, albatrosses and geese.
Stanley self guided walk (1 - 2 hrs)
Take a short self-guided walk to get insight into life in the Falklands. Start at the historic Jubilee Villa gardens where local flora and fauna are found, stroll along Ross Road and visit Christchurch cathedral and the Whalebone Arch before proceeding to the Historic Dockyard Museum. Take the tour as part of a group or on an individual basis.
IncludedStanley - Community WalkTake this self-timed walk through the highlights of Stanley's Capital.
Stanley - Falklands Nature TrekFor the nature enthusiast, this trek is an exclusive opportunity to view Falkland Islands wildlife and flora.
Stanley - Bluff Cove LagoonEnjoy a private wildlife haven on this exclusive tour to view king, gentoo and magellanic penguins as well as multitudes of sea birds, ending with tea in a café on the beach.
Stanley - Scenic Air TourSee the Falkland Islands from another perspective. There is no better way to see these remote South Atlantic islands than by air.
Stanley - Port Stanley HighlightsIf you want to see the highlights of Stanley in a short amount of time, then this is the ideal tour for you! Join this guided coach tour, taking you to interesting sites while you learn about the history of the Falkland Islands.
As we complete the loop of the Magellan Strait, we will have a recap of everything we have experienced on this expedition cruise in the Science Center. Make sure you spend some time on deck looking for wildlife.
We arrive back in Punta Arenas in the morning. After the flight back to Santiago de Chile, you can extend your vacation with a Post-programme adventure to experience more of this impressive region.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Overnight in Santiago de Chile before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Santiago de Chile
- Return economy flight from Santiago de Chile to Punta Arenas
- Transfer airport to ship including city tour and lunchbox and transfer ship to airport in Punta Arenas
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel.
MS Roald Amundsen
|Ship yard||Kleven Yards|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Some expedition cruises may include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Stanley - Community Walk
Stanley - Falklands Nature Trek
Stanley - Bluff Cove Lagoon Tour
Stanley - Port Stanley Highlights tour
Stanley - Scenic air tour
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Santiago de Chile - Pre-programme Atacama Desert 20/21
Santiago de Chile - Pre-programme Chilean Patagonia 20/21
Santiago de Chile - Pre-excursion: The Best of Santiago de Chile 20/21
Santiago de Chile - Pre-Excursion: Maipo Valley Vineyard Tour 20/21
Santiago de Chile - Pre-Excursion: Santiago Walking Tour 20/21
Valparaiso/Santiago: Easter Island
Santiago Post-Excursion: Maipo Valley Vineyard Tour
Santiago - Post-Excursion: Typical Chilean Dinner & Music
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Roald Amundsen
- Meet our Expedition Team
- Landing sites in Antarctica
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board